Knee pain along with knee injuries are very common among people. It can be caused by a work-related injury, sports injuries, or an existing medical condition. Pain Physicians NY (Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Bronx NYC) is one of the first practices in New York to offer Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections for patients suffering from pain in the knee as well as groundbreaking Stem Cell Therapy for Knees. Our facility is equipped with the most advanced, cutting edge equipment for knee pain treatment.
Our Brooklyn pain specialists are the best in the region.
What is Knee Pain?
Knee pain is common among people worldwide affecting both genders and all ages. It may be the result of an injury, accident, sporting injury, age or different medical conditions.
No matter what is causing pain in the knee, you will want to relieve it. There is no point in suffering at home. You can just simply come and get a medical check-up by our pain management doctors in Brooklyn NYC.
Pain Management Brooklyn NYC offers many non – invasive pain relief options, including physical therapy or pain relief injections.
Knee Pain Diagnosis
However, before starting your knee pain treatment in NYC, our knee doctor will focus on diagnosing your problem first. It is very important to know the real cause of your knee problems in order to appoint the most effective treatment.
Different examinations are offered in our clinic such as:
- CT – Scan
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Electromyography (EMG)
What Causes Knee Pain?
As mentioned, knee pain causes can vary and include the following:
- Injuries – depending on their severity, it can affect the ligaments, tendons, knee bursae, cartilages and bones of the knee joint. The most common knee injuries are torn meniscus, knee bursitis, patellar tendinitis, injuries of the anterior cruciate ligament and fractures.
- Knee Arthritis – different types of arthritis affect the knee joint as well as any other joint in the body. Some of the arthritis types that affect the knee and cause knee joint pain, they include rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, septic arthritis, gout, pseudogout, etc.
- Mechanical problems – like dislocated knee cap, iliotibial band syndrome or even hip pain or foot pain can also cause knee pain.
- Degenerative Arthritis
- Meniscal Tears
- Joint Swelling
- Knee Bursitis
- Jumper’s Knee
- Chronic Knee Pain
- Tendonitis of the Knee
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome
- Lateral Collateral Ligament Injury
- Medial Collateral Ligament Injury
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament Injury
Many factors can increase the risk of having knee problems such as:
- Sports – like football, tennis, basketball, skiing,
- Excess weight – obesity and extra pounds increase the stress on the knee joints, making them more vulnerable and prompting various medical conditions.
- Previous injuries – repeated knee injuries make it more likely to get injured again and cause severe knee pain.
- Weak muscles – offer less support for the knees, making them more vulnerable and more likely to get easily injured.
Knee Pain Symptoms and Signs
The severity and location of the pain in the knee usually vary from its cause. Other signs and symptoms that usually accompany knee problems include weakness and knee instability, stiffness of the knee, knee swelling, crunching noises, popping noises, inability to fully straighten the knee, knee pain when walking, etc.
How is Knee Pain diagnosed?
Knee pain diagnosis requires the following exams and diagnostic tests:
- Physical examination of the affected knee – will help your knee doctor determine any knee swelling, tenderness, bruising, warmth or pain. He/she will also check the motion range of the knee joint.
- Lab tests – are necessary in cases when the cause of knee pain is an infection or gout.
- X-ray – helps your doctor detect any bone fractures or even degenerative diseases of the knee joint that could cause knee joint pain.
- Ultrasound – produces real-time images of the soft tissue structures that surround the knee, which help your doctor better visualize the knee structures and diagnose the underlying condition of your knee problems.
- CT – scan – helps your knee doctor diagnose any problems and changes of the bone structures of the knee as well as detecting the loose bodies in the knee joint.
- MRI – is usually recommended in cases when the cause of the pain is a knee injury and damages of the soft tissue like tendons, ligaments, muscles, and cartilages, which are better visualized with this diagnostic procedure.
How to Treat Knee Pain?
Knee pain treatment always depends on its cause. Pain killers are often prescribed in order to control and provide knee pain relief, regardless of its cause. Your treatment options may include the following:
- Physical therapy is often necessary in order to strengthen the muscles that support the knee joint.
- Corticosteroid injections into the knee help reduce the signs and symptoms of the underlying condition due to the reduction of the knee inflammation and knee swelling.
- Platelet rich plasma injections tend to promote healing by reducing the inflammation of the affected knee.
- Cryoablation for Knee Pain
If conservative method treatment does not work, surgery is recommended. Surgical treatment usually includes one of the following options:
- Arthroscopic surgery
- Partial knee replacement
- Total knee replacement.
Can my knee pain go away on its own?
It is not possible to give a definite answer to this question as it depends on a variety of factors. For instance, if the cause of your knee pain is arthritis, it might not completely go away but you will experience a certain degree of pain relief with time. However, if you feel severe knee pain caused by an injury, you should contact our knee pain specialists as it can limit you from performing your daily activities.
How to keep my knees healthy?
If you want to reduce the chances of having knee problems, it is highly important to maintain healthy weight. Additionally, our Brooklyn knee pain doctors recommend to make use of stretching exercises. You should not put extensive pressure on your knees during training sessions because you will be at a higher risk of getting injured.
When do I need to visit a knee pain doctor?
Every person has a different pain threshold. Although, knee pain caused by injuries should be immediately treated by knee pain specialists. In case of serious injury, your knee needs to be examined and it should not be left untreated.
If you experience chronic knee pain and haven’t found lasting relief through more conventional knee pain treatments, medical marijuana treatment offered by our doctors may be right for you. Call medical marijuana doctor Boleslav Kosharskyy MD of Pain Physicians NY with locations in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and Bronx NYC to help you determine if medical marijuana treatment will provide you with knee pain relief.
Make your pain go away
The goal of our knee pain specialist is to diagnose your problem, define a personal treatment plan based on your condition and get you back on the track with minimal downtime. Conservative treatment is suggested first. However, in severe cases when conservative treatment does not solve your problem and relieve your pain, surgical treatment might be needed.
The most advanced pain management center, Brooklyn pain management doctors and specialists at Pain Physicians NY offers a unique, individualized approach to your knee pain treatment. We are using the most effective pain management options including Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Corticosteroid Injections and utilizing the latest technologies available in the USA.