Tell someone they might have plantar fasciitis and they may look aghast and claim that they don’t have any warts. Plantar warts were given that name because they reside on the soles of the feet, the area also known as the plantar. Plantar fasciitis, however, refers to a pain in the sole of the foot.

What is Plantar Fasiitis?

Plantar Fasciitis is one of those pains that you might disregard the first few times you feel it, thinking that you have a cramp or sore feet from wearing heels. In reality, it’s an inflammation that might need to be treated by top physical therapists or even pain physicians.

Plantar fasciitis occurs when the band of tissue connecting the heel to the toes, the plantar fascia, gets inflamed through an injury or simple overuse. It can show itself gradually, being most painful with the first steps in the morning or after extended periods of standing or sitting. Quite often the pain is in only one foot, although sometimes it can occur in both feet at the same time, making getting around quite difficult.

People most prone to this pain are overweight women over 40 who are flat-footed, have a high arch or an unusual way of walking. Athletes who overexert or too quickly increase their level of activity can also cause these small tears.

Treatment of Plantar Fasciitis

Treatment options are varied depending on the severity of the injury. The most common treatment would be physical therapy, with stretching and massage, splints or orthotics. Other treatments, administered through pain physicians, might include shockwave therapy, medication that is topically absorbed with the aid of electric current, or in very rare cases, surgery.
If left untreated, plantar fasciitis can lead to heel spurs or other, more serious conditions. Also, people often change their gait to counteract the pain of plantar fasciitis, causing changes in the way the whole foot and leg move. These changes can bring on pain in the knee, hip, or back.

If the pain is minimal, the first steps would be to simply ice the foot and stay off it for a while. Or replace running with bicycling or swimming until the pain subsides. Simple, inexpensive, over-the-counter arch supports can make a big difference. If the pain persists, look into physical therapists.

If you decide to see one of the pain physicians at Pain Physicians NY in Brooklyn, they may decide to do an X-ray or MRI to rule out other causes of pain.

Doctors such as those at Pain Physician NY can do a thorough examination of your foot and ankle to determine if plantar fasciitis is indeed the problem or if there is another diagnosis. They employ both pain physicians and physical therapists, so whatever the diagnosis, they will be able to treat your pain..